Summer is right around the corner, which means we have hot, lazy days lounging at the beach or the pool in our not-so-distant future. That also means bathing suits, and chances are you need a new one! I talked with swim designer Rod Beattie to learn more about how to find the perfect swimsuit, and how to make it painless.
Rod Beattie has been designing swim for decades, and I’ve known him for just as long. His collection Bleu by Rod Beattie is modern, chic and the suits definitely feel elevated. “I’m not a big fan of retro and don’t enjoy recycling the past. I believe in experimenting with a new leg line, a different strap, a modern color combination, “ says Beattie.
I’m wearing his black and white color blocked suit in the header image, and I get compliments every single time I wear it. The high neck elongates and the mesh and color block seem to hide a multitude of sins.
Color block creates an illusion with your silhouette. This black, white, and striped suit uses the same trick, and would be great for someone with a smaller bust. Another one of his tricks? Sheer netting! It’s like a real-life Instagram filter, and totally smooths you out without sacrificing a bit of sexiness. This black halter one-piece is a great example.
Feeling a little more conservative? This J.Crew swim dress provides flattering coverage, but the skirt keeps it femme and fun. And don’t forget your coverup! A pretty maxi dress or matching tunic can take you from the pool to happy hour in the blink of an eye.
The first thing Rod recommends is to grab a martini straight up with olives. In all seriousness this can be fun and doesn’t have to be traumatic. Here are Rod’s 5 tips:
- Think of the purchase of a swimsuit as a fun adventure. Approach the experience with a very positive attitude about your self and your body.
- Do some swimwear silhouette research so you purchase a suit that’s best suited to your body type. If possible, work with a fit specialist in the retail store who can suggest the best possible silhouettes for you.
- Confidence & comfort! The key to purchasing the perfect swimsuit is to buy the suit that makes you happy! This purchase is all about you.
- Throw away all your pre-conceived notions about buying a swimsuit, think outside the box, and try something new! The experience can be a fun, exciting experience.
- Happiness, color, and comfort will all result in something beautiful in the end!
Shop our Rod Beattie (and more!) swim edit below:
All of our recommendations are curated by Susan & the In The Groove editorial team. In some, but not all cases, we receive a small commission for leading you to what, how and where to buy all this wonderful stuff.